Monday, 13 July 2015

London Photo Diary, Savage Beauty and Les Miserables

Hi blogsville! You might've noticed I didn't publish a post on Friday as usual. It's not because I don't love you any more, but rather because I was away in London for a few days. Although this was my 5th trip, London has endless things to see, do, explore, discover, eat, drink, shop and absorb so I hope you understand that time doing that was more important and precious than time spending blogging! As I don't travel very often (yey for being scared of flying!) I thought it'd be fun to share some photos and highlights from my trip - enjoy!




My first time on the East coast line didn't disappoint - beautiful scenery and sunshine definitely make long journeys less boring.





The most flowery pub in London. I kind of want to do this to the front of my house now but it's never last in Scottish weather!




London is pretty much an entire city of endless branches of Pret A Manger. If you're in a public place (shop, restaurant, train station etc,) there legally needs to be a viable fire exit sign from anywhere you could be standing - I'm pretty sure London has adapted this rule in regards to Pret A Manger! 



Just your classic tourist photo - Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, the London eye and the Thames. Unfortunately the House of Commons isn't sitting at the moment due to Summer holidays or we'd have popped into the public gallery for a listen it, it's something I've always wanted to do. 




Hyde Park, what can I say? Beautiful on a beautiful day and plenty to see - The Serpant Gallery, The Princess Diana memorial foundation, The Albert Memorial, the Italian gardens, pedal boats to hire - but very big and flat compared to the parks of Scotland, where's the landscaping? Where are the flowers? 



Libertys of London - my favourite shop in the world. One day, I will work here. One day...





______________________________________________________



As well as just wondering around absorbing London vibes, there were two definitely highlights of my trip - seeing the 'Alexander McQueen : Savage Beauty' exhibition at the Victoria & Albert and my first experience of the West End in the form of Les Mis no less!







I love visiting exhibitions but most of those in Glasgow are of local artists or watered down versions of touring ones. On a previous trip to London, I visited the Tim Walker exhibition in Somerset House and in February I saw the works of Andy Worhol in Liverpool's Tate Gallery, so when I first heard about Alexander McQueen's Savage Beauty exhibiton at the Victoria & Albert in London, I know I had to go. The original works of McQueen are some of my favourite pieces in fashion history and he has always been a source of inspiration and creativity to my own work, especially when I was studying fashion at university. His visions and beautifully conflicting themes are always so clear in his collection and his attention to detail and appreciation for finely tuned craftsmanship is something that any sewer, designer or dressmaker can only dream of.

The exhibition features pieces from a number of his collections from his St. Martin's work to his final collection before his passing in 2010 and loads in between, both RTW and couture or custom made one off pieces. I loved how it was presented in clear 'look's rather than in collections - although often those two overlapped. I'd really recommend the exhibition to anyone who has an interest in fashion, design or art or just wanted to be a part of the more successful exhibition in V&A history.


Secondly, my first ever West End experience. I've loved muscials, both stage shows and films since I was a kid and it's always been a huge dream of mine to see something, anything, on the West End. Les Miserables as my first show? Oh why not? As the longest running West End show and a completely iconic show, I've loved it ever since I saw the film and the show didn't disappoint at all. The amazing music, the incredible staging, the laughs, the cries, all so amazing!



Every time I visit London, I find new and exciting things to do. Any recommendations? Let me know below!


3 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures, London looks great in the summer!

    Rain & Tea parties

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos, Hyde Park looks like a lovely place to spend the afternoon! I'm so jealous you went to see Les Mis, I've always wanted to go! xx

    Toasty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a fabulous day in London. On your next visit, make sure you go to Greenwich as it's a hidden gem in London with beautiful shops and parks!

    Where did you go for food? That burger looks divine!

    Becky
    Blogger & The Geek

    ReplyDelete